Difference Between Treats and Virus for Your Pets

Difference Between Treats and Virus for Your Pets

Every pet owner wants to give their pet a special gift from time to time, whether it’s to celebrate a holiday or a birthday, as a reward for a trick or a special training or just because. The last thing that should happen because of such treatment is discomfort, illness or death, but unless pet owners know what is harmful to their animals, they could accidentally offer a toxic treatment instead of a sweet surprise.

About the Digestion of pets and Food Needs

Animals have evolved to need certain diets, and their diets do not necessarily correspond to what humans might need to eat healthy. In addition, modifying a pet’s diet too far from its natural needs will not only deprive it of essential nutrition, but can also affect its digestion and cause different problems, from diarrhea and constipation to the affected intestines, vomiting, flatulence, pain, dehydration, pancreatitis and inflammation of the digestive tract. These problems can make your pet extremely uncomfortable and even lead to more serious illnesses or death, all while eating well-intentioned but actually toxic treats.

Treatable or toxic?

Knowing the best treats and the most common viruses for your pets is a good way to start monitoring an animal’s diet to make sure it is not ingesting anything dangerous. Although the items that are not intended for consumption – chemical fertilizers, antifreeze, bleach, detergents, etc. – are obviously harmful, some harmless foods that may be favorites of pet owners can be toxic to their pets. The exact degree of toxicity can vary from species to species and may depend on the amount of food consumed, as well as the dietary needs of an individual animal, but it is better to know which foods should always be avoided.

Dogs

Toxic: Chocolate, avocado, macadamia nuts, onions, raisins, grapes, cherries, raw dough, apricots, caffeine, currants, garlic, mushrooms, star fruit, salt
Treats: Apples, cooked meat, peanut butter, applesauce, cheese, carrots, banana slices, watermelon, broccoli.

Toxic: Salt, apricots, chocolate, star fruit, avocado, raw paste, caffeine, onions, peach pits, cherries, mushrooms, garlic
Treats: Catnip, green beans, berries, cooked carrots, cooked meat, tuna

Toxic: Avocado, salt, chocolate, fruit kernels or seeds, onions, mushrooms, dairy products, raw dried beans
Treats: Strawberries, mangoes, blueberries, cooked or dried pasta, grated wheat, dried banana chips, alfalfa sprouts.

Toxic: fireflies, onions, garlic, large seeds and fruit stones, rhubarb leaves, avocado, vegetables potatoes, mushrooms
Goodies: Hay, boiled eggs, tofu, earthworms, vegetables, fruits

When choosing treats for your pet, keep in mind all the ingredients of the prepared foods – leftover Thanksgiving turkey, for example, may seem like a good treat for cats and dogs, but the skin or sauce may contain excessive amounts of salt, while the filling may contain onions, garlic or other unhealthy ingredients that may pose a danger to your pets.

In Case Of Doubt
If you want to offer your pet a new or unusual treatment, consult your veterinarian first. If your pet accidentally consumes an unknown or potentially toxic item, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible or take him to the vet’s emergency room if he shows signs of distress. If possible, have a food label or container available to your veterinarian so that he can see the exact ingredients and note how much your pet consumed and when he ate it – these details can be essential to get the best possible treatment.

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *